The purpose of the Strategic Plan: The new Strategic Plan for NIH Obesity Research, published in 2011, will serve as a guide to accelerate a broad spectrum of research toward developing new and more effective approaches to address the tremendous burden of obesity, so that people can look forward to healthier lives. This new Strategic Plan reflects the exciting opportunities that have emerged in the years since the publication of NIH's first strategic plan for research on this major public health challenge.
Development of the Strategic Plan: The Strategic Plan was developed by the NIH Obesity Research Task Force with crucial input from researchers external to the NIH, professional and other health-focused organizations, and others through a public comment period. Research challenges and opportunities identified at meetings and workshops also helped shape the Strategic Plan, and will continue to inform NIH research planning.
Major Themes for Research Highlighted in the Strategic Plan:
- Discover fundamental biological processes that regulate body weight and influence behavior
- Understand the factors that contribute to obesity and its consequences
- Design and test new interventions for achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
- Evaluate promising strategies for obesity prevention and treatment in real-world settings and diverse populations
- Harness technology and tools to advance obesity research and improve healthcare delivery
Application of Research Findings:
Facilitate integration of research results into community programs and medical practice.
The report is available:
- electronically using the PDF(s) linked below. Documents in PDF format require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader application for viewing.