NDEP is engaged in a number of outreach activities to raise awareness of the future
health risks that women with a history of gestational diabetes face when it comes to diabetes. Additionally, the children of pregnancies where
the mother had gestational diabetes may also be at increased risk for obesity and
type 2 diabetes throughout their lives. The goals of this effort are to:
- Decrease the number of women with a history of gestational diabetes who develop
diabetes – mostly type 2.
- Raise awareness among families of potential future health risks for children whose
mothers were diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
- Improve the reach of information and delivery of health care professional counseling
regarding regular postpartum testing for women who had gestational diabetes, the
future health risks for mother and child, and the importance of adopting and maintaining
healthy behaviors among these families.
What Partners Can Do:
- Post one of the campaign web banners to your organization’s website. The banner directs
users to a special section of the NDEP website with information on gestational diabetes.
- Include the “ready-to-use” news article in your organization’s
newsletter or on your website.
- Share online profiles of NDEP volunteers Holly and Sandra who share their stories about having GDM and how they are working
to delay and prevent type 2 diabetes.
- “Like” the NDEP Facebook page and invite your Facebook friends to “Like” the page as well. You can also upload
one of NDEP’s newly designed cover photos to your organization’s Facebook
- Follow NDEP on Twitter and re-tweet messages
related to the lasting impact of gestational diabetes. Follow the diabetes conversation
by using the hash tag gestational #diabetes.
- Share NDEP’s YouTube video featuring NDEP volunteer Sandra,
who talks about gestational diabetes and making healthy choices as a family to lower their chances of getting type 2 diabetes in the future.
- Add the slides from the NDEP PowerPoint slide set to your existing presentations. The slides give an overview
of NDEP’s outreach goals and address how partners can raise awareness of important
post-GDM health messages.