Hi, I'm Dr. Griff Rodgers, bringing you Healthy Moments from the National Institutes of Health. I'm the director of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
Did you know that as African Americans, we are at high risk for type 2 diabetes? However, we can prevent or delay it by making lifestyle changes, for example:
• Aim for 30 minutes of physical activity, 5 days a week.
• Lower fat and calories in your diet.
• Team up with friends and family for support.
• Choose healthy foods, including a variety of fruits and vegetables.
• When you cook -- grill, bake, or broil, instead of frying.
• Cut down on portion sizes.
• Drink water instead of sweetened drinks and soda.
For more tips, visit the website yourdiabetesinfo.org or call 1-888-693-NDEP.
This is Dr. Griff Rodgers. Join me next week for more Healthy Moments.