Staying at a healthy weight is important for everyone, including teenagers. And for teens with diabetes, managing weight is especially important to avoid serious health problems in the future.
Hi, I'm Dr. Griffin Rodgers, bringing you Healthy Moments from the NIH. I'm the Director of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
For teens who have diabetes and are overweight, weight loss may make diabetes easier to manage. Here are some tips:
• Be active every day for at least 60 minutes.
• Cut calories by drinking water instead of soda and eating fruits instead of candy.
• Don't super-size it! When you eat out, order smaller, kid-sized meals or share a larger meal with a friend.
• Pack your lunch more often.
• And, if you do buy lunch at school, steer clear of fried foods.
For more tips, visit our website at NIDDK where you can hear more Healthy Moments. This is Dr. Griffin Rodgers.