U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Grants Management Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the most common Grants Management questions.​​​​​​

Changes During Award

Can I take my grant with me if I move?

​You must have prior approval from your NIDDK program director to take your grant with you.  This is because your grant was awarded based on not only your qualifications and your research project, but also upon your mentor’s expertise and your research environment.  When the possibility of moving comes up, or when you start to look for positions at other institutions, contact your program director immediately to avoid the possibility of having the transfer request disapproved.  Our instructions for transferring a fellowship (F30, F31, F32) and career development (K) awards are slightly different.  Please refer to NIDDK Instructions Requesting Relocation (Transfer) of ​​Fellowships (F32) and NIDDK Instructions for Requesting Relocation (Transfer) of K-series Projects ​for more information.

A trainee has decided to leave the program after only six months. Can I use the remaining funds to support a new trainee?

​No.  The NIDDK has a one-person, one-slot rule.  When a trainee signs a Statement of Appointment form (PHS 2271) and the NIH confirms the appointment, 12 months of funding from the T32 is obligated to support that trainee.  If the trainee leaves before 12 months, the remaining funds are reported in the Financial Status Report and returned to the NIDDK.  If the trainee leaves before completing 3 months of training, contact your Reserach Training & Career Development​ program director.​

Can I submit an administrative supplement request?

​Supplemental funds can be requested for emergency or other situations which result in unforeseen costs, such as natural or manmade disasters that damage the PI's lab or other research resources, failure of essential equipment, or unexpected or increased costs of recruiting subjects or performing laboratory analyses. Requests must be within the scope of research proposed and reviewed in the parent grant. 

Prior to submitting a supplement request, it is strongly recommended that Principal Investigators (PIs) speak with the program official associated with the parent grant to discuss eligibility, alignment with Institute expectations/priorities, and availability of funds.

Please note the following regarding administrative supplement requests:

  • NIDDK has prioritized its budget to maintain funding of investigator-initiated grants at the highest possible level. Therefore, the institute has little flexibility to support administrative supplements. 
  • Given this prioritization the number of successful administrative supplement applications will be extremely low and generally limited to rare unforeseen circumstances (e.g., requests to replace key pieces of equipment following a natural disaster). 
  • Other specialized administrative supplement programs such as Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (PA-08-190) and Research Supplements to Promote Re-Entry into Biomedical and Behavioral Research Careers (PA-08-191) are separate from the announcement cited below and are submitted and considered under different circumstances.
  • Applicants who are successful in receiving supplemental funds will be informed of the NIDDK’s decision via a Notice of Award.

For application instructions and other requirements please visit the Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements Funding Announcement (PA-12-100)​.

I would like to add a new training faculty member to my T32 program. How do I request this?

​You may send a request at any time, co-signed by your business office, requesting the addition of training faculty.  Please include a current biosketch in the NIH format for the new training faculty member.  Alternatively, you may add new faculty at the time of your noncompeting renewal (i.e. progress report).  Your progress report constitutes an official request because it is submitted by your institution.​

I have a family emergency and must leave my institution for several months. Can I keep my K award?

You may keep your K award under the following circumstances: 

  • you intend to return
  • your institution agrees to grant you a leave of absence
  • your mentor concurs
  • your research project can be put on hold for that period of time

The NIDDK will leave your grant in place.  When you return, you can begin to use your grant funds.  Your business office will track the finances and request the carryover of funds each year as necessary.  In the final year of funding, before the end date, your business office can extend the project period to allow you to spend the remaining funds.


Since my salary is covered by my department, can I use the salary money for supplies or a technician?

​No.  If you do not need the salary support to protect your research time, you should not apply for a K award.