Considering what you have learned so far, which type of treatment do you think may be best for your situation?
What information would help you make a decision?
For group: Label four cups with options. Have participants place a cotton ball into the cup that they are considering choosing (their "choice"). Use for discussion.
Have flip chart or white board available to write down group's response to: What are the benefits of making a treatment choice sooner instead of later? Have group discuss whatever benefits they come up with. Examples:
- Learn more specifics about their choice and be ready
- They and their family will know what to expect
- May reduce the fear
- They will get a choice, emergency dialysis doesn't offer any choice only hemo with temporary access
- Can still change their mind
- Better to have surgery when feeling stronger vs being very ill
- They will be in control of the decision
OPTIONAL: Then ask what are the benefits of not making the choice (hopefully no one will have any)