NIDDK/National Hispanic Medical Association’s Travel Award
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) in conjunction with the National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA) provides travel awards to participate in the NIDDK Workshop on Career Development in Academic Medicine. Participants are Participants are residents and fellows who are interested in pursuing careers in biomedical research and/or academic medicine. Participants may also attend the NHMA’s Annual Conference.
This year’s NIDDK Workshop on Career Development in Academic Medicine will take place on Thursday, May 4, 2017.
- Paid conference registration
- Round trip economy class airline tickets
- Hotel accommodations for 5 days/4 nights
- Be a member of a nationally underrepresented group in biomedical or behavioral research
- Be interested in membership in the National Hispanic Medical Association
- Be a resident, fellow, post-doctoral scientist, or early stage investigator
- Be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or legal permanent resident
- Not have received travel support under this announcement in previous years
Also, once at the conference, award recipients must attend the entire NIDDK Workshop on Career Development in Academic Medicine. Further, it is strongly encouraged that recipients attend the other NHMA conference functions as well.
Gather Required Documents
It is recommended that you prepare the following required documents in advance of starting your application:
- Personal statement - Describe your research interests, career ambitions, and how attending the program will influence your training and development
- Curriculum vita (CV) - CV Template (PDF, 30 KB)
- Letter of support - From the Chairperson or Director of the training program, indicating how the applicant will continue to be supported in his/her pursuit of a career in academic medicine.
Create an account
If you are eligible to apply for a travel award, you will need to create an account via the online application system. The application system will become available November 15, 2017.
Submit the Application
Fill out the form in the online application system and upload your documents. All application materials must be submitted through the system.
Applications will be accepted from November 15, 2017 until February 15, 2018.
The NIDDK/NHMA Travel Award Review Committee will review the applications and select awardees based on policies and provisions of the NIH governing administrative awards.
Award recipients will be announced no later than March 15, 2018.