A one day research workshop bringing together clinical and translational investigators to define the clinical and pathophysiological aspects that characterize acute pediatric acute liver failure due to an undefined cause, currently labeled as indeterminate etiology.
Organizing Committee: Estella Alonso (LURIE), Simon Horslen (Seattle CH), Edward Behernsn (CHOP), Averell Sherker (NIDDK), Edward Doo (NIDDK), Jay Hoofnagle (NIDDK)
October 16, 2015
- 8:15 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
- Welcome and Introduction
Estella Alonso and Edward Doo
Session 1: Clinical and Pathophysiological Features of PALF of Undetermined Cause
Moderator: Simon Horslen
- 8:30 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.
- ALF of undetermined cause in children
- 8:50 a.m. - 9:10 a.m.
- ALF of undetermined in adults
- 9:10 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
- Pathology of Acute Liver Failure
- 9:30 a.m. - 9:50 a.m.
- Inflammatory Milieu in PALF
- 9:50 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.
- 10:10 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Session 2: Pathophysiological Mechanisms and Regeneration in Acute Liver Failure
Moderator: Ed Behrens
- 10:30 a.m. - 10:50 a.m.
- Mechanisms of Immune Mediated Liver Injury
- 10:50 a.m. - 11:10 a.m.
- Modeling of Inflammatory Cascades in PALF
- 11:10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Growth Factors in Hepatic Regeneration
- 11:30 a.m. - 11:50 a.m.
- The Endothelial Cell in Hepatic Regeneration
- 11:50 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.
- 12:10 p.m. - 1:20 p.m.
- Lunch (on your own)
Session 3: Elucidation of Etiologies of PALF of Undetermined Cause
Moderator: David Rudnick
- 1:20 p.m. - 1:40 p.m.
- Viral etiology discovery for PALF of undetermined cause
- 1:40 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Genomic approaches for the discovery of genetic variations that may be associated with PALF of undetermined cause
- 2:00 p.m. - 2:20 p.m.
- 2:20 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
Session 4: Potential Therapeutic Targets and Approaches for PALF of Undetermined Cause
Moderator: Kathleen Loomes
- 2:40 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Drug Therapeutic Targets for Cytokine Storm, MAS and HLH
- 3:00 p.m. - 3:20 p.m.
- Ongoing Treatment Trials and New Strategies
- 3:20 p.m. - 3:40 p.m.
- Treating Neuroinflammation
- 3:40 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- 4:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Session 5: Defining research challenges, priorities, and opportunities for PALF of Undetermined Cause
Moderators: Alonso, Horslen, Beherns
- 4:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Defining research challenges, priorities, and opportunities for Indeterminate PALF
Audience and Moderators