Matthew Portnoy, Ph.D.
- Deputy Director: Division of Extramural Activities
- Senior Advisor to the NIDDK Director on Innovation: Office of the Director
Responsibilities & Activities
I support and work closely with the DEA Director in all Division activities related to:
- NIDDK receipt, referral and peer review
- Grants Management
- Development, implementation, and coordination of NIDDK extramural programs and policies
- Committee Management
- Disease coding
- NIH Guide publication of NIDDK Notices and Funding Opportunity Announcements
As the Senior Advisor on Innovation and Biomedical Product Assessment to the Director, I provide expert advice and leadership on Small Business Innovation Research/Small business Technology Transfer Research (SBIR/STTR) and Prize/Challenge activities to develop relevant and innovative biomedical products in areas that will advance NIDDK’s mission to conduct and support medical research and research training and to disseminate science-based information on diabetes and other endocrine and metabolic diseases; digestive diseases, nutritional disorders, and obesity; and kidney, urologic, and hematologic diseases, to improve people’s health and quality of life.
I have participated in the NIH Senior Leadership Program and various professional development programs.
Committees & Working Groups
- NIH Extramural Program Management Committee, Alternate
- NIDDK Commercial Management Office
- NIH DEA Deputy Directors
- NIH Challenge/Prize Managers
Director, Division of Special Programs; Director of NIH SBIR/STTR Programs, Office of the Director, Office of Extramural Research, NIH, 2010-2019
Program Director, Division of Genetics and Developmental Biology, NIGMS, NIH, 2005-2010
Postdoctoral fellow, Genome Technology Branch, NHGRI, NIH, 2001-2005
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, 2001
B.S., Penn State University, 1996