National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Guiding Principles for the Care of People With or at Risk for Diabetes outlines how to provide patient-centered evidence-based care for those with or at risk for diabetes.
- Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
Diabetes Prevention Program Study Documents Website
- The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP), a landmark study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, found that people at increased risk for type 2 diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of the disease by losing 5 to 7 percent of their body weight through increased physical activity and a reduced fat and lower calorie diet.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Diabetes Prevention Program
- The CDC’s Weight Management Research to Practice Series is designed to summarize the science on a weight management topic into a summary document with implications for practice for public health professionals.
American Diabetes Association
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Screening Guidelines
- Abnormal Glucose and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Adults: Screening (draft recommendation, 2014)
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus, Screening (2014)
- Obesity in Adults: Screening and Management (2012)
The Guide to Community Preventive Services
The Guide to Community Preventive Services is a free resource to help health care professionals choose programs and policies to improve health and prevent disease in their communities.
HBO Documentary Films
THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION is a presentation of HBO and the Institute of Medicine (IOM), in association with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and in partnership with the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation and Kaiser Permanente.
The HBO Documentary Films series The Weight of The Nation explores the obesity epidemic in America: