This meeting is the culminating experience for the undergraduate participants sponsored by the Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases Summer Research Program. The conference will bring all the students together to share their research accomplishments, network with peers and distinguished faculty, and receive timely career development advice. This added exposure to professional and scientific opportunities in renal, urologic, and hematologic diseases will entice undergraduates to continue their medical or graduate careers in areas within the research mission of the Division.
July 25, 2016
August 4, 2016
- 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Arrival and Hotel Check-in: Hilton Doubletree
- 6:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Welcome Reception/Meet and Greet at Bowlcity
2810 N. Broadway, Rochester, MN 55906; 507-288-2601
Buses will provide roundtrip transportation from the hotel
Food will be served
August 5, 2016
- 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- Walk to/Breakfast at Geffen Auditorium
- 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
- Welcome Remarks
Gregory Gores, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Executive Dean for Research, Mayo Clinic
- 8:30 a.m. – 8:50 a.m.
- Welcome Remarks on Behalf of NIDDK
Griffin P. Rodgers, M.D., M.A.C.P., Director, NIDDK
- 8:50 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Why Do Research?
Kenneth Kleinberg, President, University Kidney Research Organization
- Tools of the Trade
Franklyn Knox, M.D., Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, Mayo Clinic
- 10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
- 10:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Panel Discussion with Near-Peers (Geffen Auditorium)
- 11:30 a.m.
- PHOTO – Group (Gonda Stairs)
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Mentor Luncheon
Luncheon Address: Why We Need YOU for Nephrology Research
Robert Star, M.D., Director, KUH, NIDDK
- 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Poster Setup (Hilton Doubletree Hotel Ballroom)
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Moderated Poster Session I
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Informal Networking
- Faculty Viewing of Posters
- Optional Tours of Select Mayo Facilities
- 7:00 p.m.
- Foundation House Dinner
701 4th St SW, Rochester, MN 55902
August 6, 2016
- 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Moderated Poster Session II
- 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Break/Walk to Geffen Hall
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Why Work on Kidneys?
Peter Agre, M.D., Professor, Johns Hopkins University
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Navigating Cultural Barriers in Research
Eddie Greene, M.D., Associate Professor, Mayo Clinic
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Panel Discussion: Next Steps in Your Career
- 3:00 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
- Concluding Remarks and Adjournment