NIDDK Distinguished Postbaccalaureate Scholars Program Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the most common questions about the NIDDK Distinguished Postbaccalaureate Scholars Program are answered below.
When do positions begin?
Most positions start between June and August, but some flexibility exists.
Can I defer my program acceptance by a year?
No. If you want to join the program at a later date, you must resubmit an application in the fiscal year that you plan to start.
Does the program pay for relocation or housing expenses?
The program does not provide housing expenses, but relocation expenses are reimbursed up to $1500.
Which mentors (principal investigators) are participating in the program in 2024?
To find more information on the 2024 NIDDK Distinguished Postbaccalaureate Scholars Program Investigators Project Description and Diversity Statement, please see below:
The following mentors are participating in the program in 2024.
- Daniel Appella, Ph.D.
- Leslie J. Baier, Ph.D.
- Rebecca J. Brown, M.D., M.H.Sc., Lasker Tenure Track Investigator
- Susan K. Buchanan, Ph.D.
- Rafael Daniel Camerini-Otero M.D., Ph.D.
- Ross Cheloha, Ph.D., Stadtman Tenure-Track Investigator
- Hoi Sung Chung, Ph.D.
- Stephanie T. Chung, M.B.B.S.
- Ann Dean, Ph.D.
- Jurrien Dean, M.D., NIH Distinguished Investigator
- Douglas Forrest, Ph.D.
- Gregory Germino, M.D.
- Astrid D. Haase, M.D., Ph.D.
- John A. Hanover, Ph.D.
- Lothar Hennighausen, Ph.D./Hye Kyung Lee, Ph.D.
- Kenneth A. Jacobson, Ph.D.
- Andrew Lutas, Ph.D., Stadtman Tenure-Track Investigator
- Katherine McJunkin, Ph.D., Stadtman Tenure-Track Investigator
- Daniel C. Masison, Ph.D.
- Priyanka Narayan, Ph.D.
- Sushil G. Rane, Ph.D.
- Margaret L. Rodgers, Ph.D., Stadtman Tenure-Track Investigator
- Arthur Sherman, Ph.D.
- Anne Elizabeth Sumner, M.D.
- Quan Wang, Ph.D.
- Peter Yuen, Ph.D./Robert Star, M.D.
- Jinwei Zhang, Ph.D., Stadtman Tenure-Track Investigator
Do I need to identify a mentor or research group with whom I wish to work?
No, you do not need to identify a mentor or research group when you apply to the program. NIDDK will help you match with a mentor. However, we encourage you to let us know if there is a specific mentor, research group, or project you are interested in.
Can I interview with more than one mentor?
Yes, you will be offered interviews with at least three mentors. Additionally, more than one mentor may express interest in you joining their group. You may choose to accept or decline the offers you receive.
What if the mentor or research group I am interested in isn’t listed?
Please let us know the mentor or research group you are interested in and we will follow up with you.