- Assistant Research Physician, NIDDK, NIH, 2021-present
- Staff Clinician, NIDDK, NIH, 2021-present
- Assoc. Program Director, Nephrology fellowship, Univ. of MD School of Medicine, 2020-2021
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Univ. of MD School of Medicine, 2019-present
- Course co-director, Renal section, Univ. of MD School of Medicine, 2019-2021
- Medical Director, Hemodialysis Unit, VA Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland, 2019-2021
- Medical Director, Nephrology Clinic, Dept. of Nephrology, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, 2017-2019
- Fellow, American Society of Nephrology, 2017
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, 2016
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 2014-present
- Medical Director-Dialysis Unit and Nephrology Division Head, Dept. of Nephrology, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Virginia, 2014-2017
- Fellowship, Nephrology, National Capital Consortium-Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 2014
- Residency, Internal Medicine, National Capital Consortium-Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 2012
- General Medical Officer, U.S. NAVY, 2008-2010
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Naval Medical Center San Diego, 2008
- M.D., University of Puerto Rico, 2007
- B.S., University of Puerto Rico, 2003
My research interests include glomerular disorders in autoimmune disease, disorders of potassium metabolism, military medicine, and acute kidney injury. I also am passionate about graduate medical education and training.
- Acute glomerulonephritis in a hematopoietic blood stem cell donor.
- Chandra P, Dahiya S, Sanchez-Petitto G, Malik J, Bolanos J, Haririan A, Weir M, Drachenberg C, Rapoport A.
- Clin Nephrol Case Stud (2021) 9:81-86. Abstract/Full Text
- Recurrent Hyperkalemia in Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System Inhibitor (RAASi) Treatment: Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place.
- Bolaños JA, Seliger SL.
- Clin J Am Soc Nephrol (2021 Mar 8) 16:345-347. Abstract/Full Text
Research in Plain Language
I have been involved in studies looking at outcomes of acute kidney injury requiring dialysis in military service members. I’ve also contributed to the review and development of military clinical practice guideline recommendations for the management of patients with, or at risk for, acute kidney injury and elevated levels of potassium in the austere, deployed environment. In addition, I’m interested in studying the effects of immune system disorders on the kidney.