- Ph.D., McGill University, 1999
My laboratory investigates how metabolism and the brain adapt in response to a variety of interventions to diet and physical activity. We perform experiments in both humans and rodents to better understand the complex mechanisms regulating macronutrient metabolism, body composition, and energy expenditure. A unique aspect of our laboratory involves the development of mathematical models to quantitatively describe, explain, integrate, and predict our experimental results.
- Effect of a plant-based, low-fat diet versus an animal-based, ketogenic diet on ad libitum energy intake.
- Hall KD, Guo J, Courville AB, Boring J, Brychta R, Chen KY, Darcey V, Forde CG, Gharib AM, Gallagher I, Howard R, Joseph PV, Milley L, Ouwerkerk R, Raisinger K, Rozga I, Schick A, Stagliano M, Torres S, Walter M, Walter P, Yang S, Chung ST.
- Nat Med (2021 Feb) 27:344-353. Abstract/Full Text
- Ultra-Processed Diets Cause Excess Calorie Intake and Weight Gain: An Inpatient Randomized Controlled Trial of Ad Libitum Food Intake.
- Hall KD, Ayuketah A, Brychta R, Cai H, Cassimatis T, Chen KY, Chung ST, Costa E, Courville A, Darcey V, Fletcher LA, Forde CG, Gharib AM, Guo J, Howard R, Joseph PV, McGehee S, Ouwerkerk R, Raisinger K, Rozga I, Stagliano M, Walter M, Walter PJ, Yang S, Zhou M.
- Cell Metab (2019 Jul 2) 30:226. Abstract/Full Text
Research in Plain Language
My laboratory studies the regulation of body weight and metabolism—the processes through which food is converted into the energy. We perform experiments in both humans and rodents to better understand the complex mechanisms that control
- metabolism of macronutrients—proteins, fats, and carbohydrates;
- food choice and eating behavior;
- body weight and composition; and
- energy expenditure, which is the amount of calories used to maintain life and perform physical work.
A unique aspect of our research group is that we develop mathematical models to describe, explain, integrate, and predict the results of our experiments.
- Mathematical Modeling of Metabolism and Body Weight Regulation
- Research Behind the Body Weight Planner
- NIH Research in Action: The Human Energy Crisis