- Senior Research Physician NIDDK, NIH, 2020-present
- Chief, Clinical Nephrology Consult Service, 2020-present
- Director, Dialysis, 2020-present
- NIDDK Clinical Director's Award, 2020
- Associate Research Physician, NIDDK, NIH, 2018-2020
- Staff Clinician, NIDDK, NIH, 2006-present
- Clinical Instructor, Columbia University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Glomerular Disease Institute, 2005-2006
- Nephrology Fellowship, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2001-2005
- Internal medicine-Pediatrics Combined Residency, Baystate Medical Center, 1997-2001
- M.D., Tufts University School of Medicine, 1997
The focus of my research is the natural history, pathogenesis, and treatment of immunologically mediated glomerular diseases particularly membranous nephropathy. The goal of my research is to find novel ways to suppress autoimmune responses that lead to kidney disease as well as to find more sensitive methods to monitor disease activity.
- COVID-19 vaccines and kidney disease.
- Windpessl M, Bruchfeld A, Anders HJ, Kramer H, Waldman M, Renia L, Ng LFP, Xing Z, Kronbichler A.
- Nat Rev Nephrol (2021 May) 17:291-293. Abstract/Full Text
- Lupus-like autoimmunity and increased interferon response in patients with STAT3-deficient hyper-IgE syndrome.
- Goel RR, Nakabo S, Dizon BLP, Urban A, Waldman M, Howard L, Darnell D, Buhaya M, Carmona-Rivera C, Hasni S, Kaplan MJ, Freeman AF, Gupta S.
- J Allergy Clin Immunol (2021 Feb) 147:746-749.e9. Abstract/Full Text
Research in Plain Language
I study new combinations of agents that reduce the activity of the immune system to treat individuals with immune-mediated kidney disease in which kidney cells are damaged by immune responses or inflammation.