Beena Akolkar, Ph.D.
Responsibilities & Activities
I am the program director for the Immunopathogenesis and genetics of Diabetes. My portfolio includes basic and clinical research on the genetics, immunopathogenesis, prevention, and treatment of type 1 diabetes (T1D) and genetics and genomics of type 2 diabetes (T2D).
I am the project scientist for the Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young (TEDDY) study, an international consortium established with the goal of developing and carrying out studies to identify environmental triggers of T1D, such as infectious agents, dietary factors, and/or psychosocial factors, in genetically susceptible individuals.
I am the project scientist for the Accelerating Medicines Partnership in Type 2 Diabetes (AMP-T2D-GENES).
I also serve as a project officer for the NIDDK Central Repositories. My responsibilities also include coordinating research activities on autoimmunity and transplant across the Division and T1D across the NIH.
Clinical Research in Type 1 Diabetes
Determinants, etiology, progression, prevention, and treatment of type 1 diabetes in children and adults.
Diabetes Genetics & Genomics
Genetic mechanisms underlying type 1 and type 2 diabetes and how genetic and epigenetic variation influences the metabolism of therapeutics.
Diabetes: Treatment, Prevention, & Complications
Basic and clinical studies aimed at addressing the prevention, treatment, and pathophysiology of type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Committees & Working Groups
- Type 1 Diabetes Working Group, Chair
- Clinical Sciences Working Group, Member
- Human Microbiome Project Group, Representative
- Translation Working Group, Member
- NIDDK Clinical Sciences Working Group, Member
- Genomics Working Group, Member
- TrialNet, Ancilliary, Laboratory, and Mechanistic Committees, Representative
- Immune Tolerance Network Steering and Executive Committee, Member
- Autoimmunity Centers of Excellence Steering Committee, Representative
- CSGADP Steering Committee, Member
- Autoimmunity/Transplant Working Group, Chair
- TRIGR Steering Committee, Member
Assistant Professor, Medicine and Pathology, NYU School of Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, 1996-2000
Instructor, Cell Biology, NYU School of Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, North Shore University, 1995-1996
Instructor, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, North Shore University Hospital, 1992-1995
Research Associate, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, North Shore University Hospital, 1989-1992
Research Associate, Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology Centre, University of Baroda, Baroda, India, 1987-1989