Internal Medicine Residency – Georgetown University Hospital
Viral Hepatitis Fellowship – NIAID, Bethesda, MD
Gastroenterology Fellowship – University of Maryland School of Medicine
Liver Diseases Fellowship – NIDDK, Bethesda, MD
Mi Sun Moon received her Ph.D. in Microbiology and Immunology from Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, during which time she studied the effect of hepatic iron on acute and chronic liver disease using both in vitro and in vivo models. She then joined the Translational Hepatology Unit, LDB, NIDDK as a post-doctoral fellow in 2012 and currently works on a project investigating microbial translocation in liver disease.
- Kim, D., Kim, Y. K., Moon, M. S., Lee, J. H., Im, J. O., Cho, Y. K., Hong, H. N. (2000) Coxsackievirus B4-induced neurotoxic effect in primary cultured rat neurons: Serotype specificity of enteroviral infections. Experimental Neurobiology 9, 1-6.
- Moon, M. S., Lee, C. J., Um, S. J., Park, J. S., Yang, J. M., and Hwang, E. S. (2001) Effect of BPV1 E2-mediated inhibition of E6/E7 expression in HPV16-positive cervical carcinoma cells, Gynecol Oncol 80, 168-175. PMID: 11161855
- Park, Y. C., Nam, J. H., Joo, C. H., Moon, M. S., Chung, K. W., Lee, H., Cho, Y. K., Kim, Y. K. (2001) Sequence variation of 5' noncoding region of enterovirus isolated from patients with aseptic meningitis.J Bacteriol Virol 31, 85-94.
- Joo, C. H., Yoon, H. J., Nam, J. H., Moon, M. S., Cho, Y. K., Woo, J. H., Kang, J. M., Shin, W. S., Kim, T. R., Kim, M. J., Chung, H. J., Lee, H. J., Kim, Y. K. (2001) A prospective multicenter study on the etiological analysis of community-acquired pneumonia in adult patients in Korea: detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae infections. Kor J Inf Dis 33, 15-24.
- Joo, C. H., Hong, H. N., Kim, E. O., Im, J. O., Yoon, S. Y., Ye, J. S., Moon, M. S., Kim, D., Lee, H., and Kim, Y. K. (2003) Coxsackievirus B3 induces apoptosis in the early phase of murine myocarditis: a comparative analysis of cardiovirulent and noncardiovirulent strains, Intervirology 46, 135-140. PMID: 12867750
- Kwon, T. W., Kim, D. K., Ye, J. S., Lee, W. J., Moon, M. S., Joo, C. H., Lee, H., and Kim, Y. K. (2004) Detection of enterovirus, cytomegalovirus, and Chlamydia pneumoniae in atheromas, J Microbiol 42, 299-304. PMID: 15650686
- Lee, Y. J., Moon, M. S., Kwon, S. J., and Rhee, J. G. (2005) Hypoxia and low glucose differentially augments TRAIL-induced apoptotic death, Mol Cell Biochem 270, 89-97. PMID: 15792357
- Moon, M. S., Joo, C. H., Hwang, I. S., Ye, J. S., Jun, E. J., Lee, H. S., Kim, D., Lee, M. J., Lee, H., and Kim, Y. K. (2005) Distribution of viral RNA in mouse tissues during acute phase of coxsackievirus B5 infection, Intervirology 48, 153-160. PMID: 15812189
- Isom, H. C., McDevitt, E. I., and Moon, M. S. (2009) Elevated hepatic iron: a confounding factor in chronic hepatitis C, Biochim Biophys Acta 1790, 650-662. PMID: 19393721
- Moon, M. S., Richie, J. P., and Isom, H. C. (2010) Iron potentiates Acetaminphen-Induced Oxidative Stress and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Cultured Mouse Hepatocytes, Toxicol Sci 118 (1), 119-127. PMID: 20667997
- Moon, M. S., Kang, B. H., Krzeminski, J., Amin, S., Aliaga, C., Zhu, J., McDevitt, E. I., Kocher, S., Richie, J. P., and Isom, H. C. (2011) 3,5,5-Trimethyl-Hexanoyl-Ferrocene Diet Protects Mice from Moderate Transient Acetaminophen-Induced Hepatotoxicity. Toxicol Sci 124 (2), 348-358. PMID: 21908766
- Moon, M. S., McDevitt, E. I., Zhu, J., Stanley, B., Krzeminski, J., Amin, S., Aliaga, C., Miller, T., and Isom, H. C. (2012) Elevated Hepatic Iron Activates NF-E2–Related Factor 2–Regulated Pathway in a Dietary Iron Overload Mouse Model. Toxicol Sci 129 (1), 74-85. PMID: 22649188
Sandy Page earned a B.A. from the University of Delaware and a Masters in Biology from George Mason University. She worked professionally as an ecologist for state and federal government agencies and for a consulting firm. She then earned a second Masters degree from North Carolina State University, specializing in molecular biology. In 2011 she completed a Ph.D. in Biosciences, with a concentration in Functional Genomics, from George Mason University. Her doctoral research involved the identification and validation of biomarkers of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. She joined the Translational Hepatology Unit, LDB, NIDDK, in 2012 as a post-doctoral fellow. She is currently investigating whether genetic polymorphisms influence disease progression in patients with hepatitis C.
- Tana M., Zhao X., Bradshaw A., Moon M., Page S., Turner T., Rivera E., Kleiner D., Heller T. 2015. Factors associated with the platelet count in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Thromb Res. May;135(5):823-8.
- Hara K., Rivera M., Koh C., Demino M., Page S., Nagabhyru P.R., Rehermann B., Liang, T.J., Hoofnagle J.H., Heller T. 2014. Sequence analysis of hepatitis C virus from patients with relapse after a sustained virological response: relapse or reinfection? J Infect Dis. Jan 1;209(1):38-45.
- Page S., Birerdinc A., Estep M., Stepanova M., Afendy A., Petricoin E., Younossi Z., Chandhoke V., Baranova A. 2013. Knowledge-based identification of soluble biomarkers: hepatic fibrosis in NAFLD as an example. PLoS ONE. 8(2): e56009.
- Younossi Z., Page S., Rafiq N., Birerdinc A., Stepanova M., Hossain N., Afendy A., Younoszai Z., Goodman Z., Baranova A. 2011. A biomarker panel for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and NASH-Related fibrosis. Obes Surg. 21(4): 431-9.
- Page, S., Chandhoke V., Baranova A. 2011. Melanin and melanogenesis in adipose tissue: possible mechanisms for abating oxidative stress and inflammation? Obes Rev. 12(5): e21-31.
- Gerber L., Page S., Price J., Winter P., Younossi, Z. 2011. Association of serum biomarkers with fatigue in patients with chronic liver disease. Gastroenterology. 140(5); S-461.
- Younossi Z.M., Baranova A., Stepanova M., Page S., Calvert V.S., Afendy A., Goodman Z., Chandhoke V., Liotta L., Petricoin E. 2010. Phosphoproteomic biomarkers predicting histologic nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and fibrosis. J Proteome Res. 9(6): 3218-24.
- Biderman B., Marakhonov A., Skoblov M., Birerdinc A., Nohelty E., Page S., Khomenkov V., Chandhoke V., Sudarikov A., Nikitin E., Baranova A. 2010. Inhibition of potassium currents as a pharmacologic target for investigation in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Drug News Perspect. 10: 625-631.
- Blazer V., Densmore C., Schill W., Cartwright D., Page S. 2004. Comparative susceptibility of Atlantic salmon, lake trout, and rainbow trout to Myxobolus cerebralis in controlled laboratory exposures. Dis. Aquat. Org. 58(1): 27-34.
- Page, S. 2002. Ichthyoplankton Community Composition in Tidal Waters of the District of Columbia, 1997–1999. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Report No. CBFO-C02-06.
- Millard C., Page S., Kazyak P., Boward D. 2001. Upper Potomac basin: environmental assessment of stream conditions. Maryland Department of Natural Resources Report No. ea00-5_up.
Grace Zhang attended the University of Maryland where she received her BS in General Biology and Operations Management and Business Analytics. Her previous work involved investigating synaptogenesis in schizophrenia. She joined the Translational Hepatology Unit, LDB, NIDDK as a postbac IRTA in 2016 and is currently investigating the relationship between microbial translocation and the progression of liver disease in patients with chronic hepatitis C.
- Carr G, Chen J, Yang F, Ren M, Yuan P, Tian Q, Bebensee A, Zhang G, Du J, Glineburg P, Xun R, Akhile O, Akuma D, Pickel J, Barrow J, Papaleo F, Weinberger D. KCNH2-3.1 expression impairs cognition and alters neuronal function in a model of molecular pathology associated with schizophrenia. Mol Psychiatry. 2016 Feb 9.