DSRTP Application Process & Deadlines
How to apply
Check the eligibility requirements if you are unsure of your eligibility.
Complete NIH SIP online application form. If you fail to select DSRTP on your application, your application will not be considered for the DSRTP program.
NOTE: DSRTP application deadline is 12:00 (ET) on February 16, 2024. See below for additional deadlines.
The online application will require the following information.
- Personal information
- Addresses and phone numbers for both school and permanent residence
- An e-mail address
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident status of the applicant
- Preferred research location
(NOTE: NIDDK has two research locations, Bethesda, Maryland and Phoenix, Arizona. Indicate your preferred location by clicking Maryland or Phoenix. If you do not have a preferred location click both.)
- List of coursework and grades (copy and paste into the online application) or an unofficial transcript.
Selected students will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Official electronic transcripts should be sent directly from the university/institution to Ms. Winnie Martinez at Winnie.Martinez@nih.gov.
- 2 letters of recommendation are required. Letters of recommendation from academic references will be sent automatically from the online application system via e-mail to the recommenders listed on the application. Only after you complete your online application will the recommenders receive instructions for submitting the letters online.
- Returning DSRTP students: In additional to two academic references, a letter from the most recent DSRTP Research Mentor should be provided. Letters from DSRTP Mentors can be emailed to the Program Director, Ms. Winnie Martinez.
- Cover Letter
- Describe your research interests, career goals, and reasons for applying for the DSRTP program.
- Describe previous research experience.
- Applications must be received by 12:00 p.m. (ET) on February 16.
- Reference Letters must be received by February 16.
- Notification of Award: End of March 2024
Applications not selected for the DSRTP will automatically be released to the general NIH SIP. Please direct your questions regarding the NIH SIP to SIP@nih.gov.
Priority will be given to students who reside outside of the Maryland/Washington D.C./Virginia areas. Local students are encouraged to apply for the general NIH Summer Internship Program (SIP).