Weight Management & Healthy Living Tips
It’s never too early or too late to take steps to achieve better health. To start to build your action plan for better health, replace sugar-sweetened drinks or juices with water and add 3-10 minute walks to your day. If you’re worried about the holidays getting between you and your health goals, don’t. With some planning and effort, you can stay on track now and into the new year.
Looking for steps you can take over the holiday season?
- Limit the goodies. Don’t go back for that second slice of cake, pie or cookie.
- Don’t cheat on sleep. Research has shown that not getting enough sleep may contribute to weight gain.
- Activate your support network. Recruit coworkers, family members and friends to support your health goals—and even set their own.
- Don’t give up. Setbacks happen. That doesn’t mean you should quit. Be patient, regroup and get back on track the next day or as soon as you can.
Message from the NIDDK Director
“Why wait to start improving your health when you can start today? It’s never too late or too early to begin making small changes that could make a big difference in how you look and feel. They could be as simple as adding three 10-minute walks to your day or cutting back on foods and drinks with added sugars. Not only can you reduce your risk for diabetes, kidney disease, and other chronic illnesses, you may find you have more energy and feel better overall. You can achieve better health today, tomorrow, and for life!”
– Griffin P. Rodgers, M.D., M.A.C.P.
Share on Social Media
- You Can Achieve Better Health Today. Tomorrow. For life. It’s never early or too late to start making small changes to improve your health. In fact, if you start now, you can create healthy habits to carry into the new year. To learn more about what you can do to take charge of your health, check out:
- Did you know that only 1 in 5 adults in the United States meet physical guidelines? To achieve better health, try starting slow, but steady. For example, make a goal to walk 30 minutes most days of the week. Learn more tips:
- How can you achieve #BetterHealth? Try adding three, 10 minute walks to your day! More tips from @NIDDKgov:
- Start with small steps toward #BetterHealth! Set a goal to take stairs when possible! #HealthyMoments, @NIDDKgov