Weight Management & Healthy Living Tips
Summer is a great season for you and your family to focus on healthy eating and physical activity habits. As the weather gets warmer and social gatherings start back up, try setting goals that work for your lifestyle to help you achieve or maintain a healthy weight.
Following a challenging year, it may be difficult to get back into a healthy routine. Wherever you are on your journey to active and healthy living, there are things you can do to help you get or stay on track.
Yes, weight management requires ongoing efforts—including regular physical activity, healthier eating, getting enough sleep, and managing stress—and you can start by taking small steps to make healthy habits a priority every day.
Try these tips to help manage your weight and stay active.
- Add motion to your day. Schedule time for physical activity and stick to it. Any physical activity, even for a short time, is a good thing.
- Have healthy snacks on hand. Look for snacks that are low in added sugar and salt, like fresh fruit or hummus with sliced veggies.
- Reduce screen time and time spent sitting. Turn off the devices and take a walk, try a new sport with your family, or create a playlist of favorite songs and have a dance contest.
- Use a food diary to track your meals. Whether you use an app on your phone or write it down, track your meals to help you discover changes to help you lose weight.
- Be prepared for setbacks—they are normal. You may have setbacks on your active and healthy journey, but don't let them hold you back. Reach out to family and friends for support.
Learn more about weight management and healthy eating
A national health awareness program that encourages black women ages 18 and older to reach and maintain a healthy weight by being more physically active and making healthier food choices.
A free, online tool developed by NIDDK scientists that allows users to make personalized calorie and physical activity plans to reach their goal weight within a specific time period and to maintain it afterwards.
For you to share with family, friends, and community
Weight Management & Healthy Living Flyer
Download a flyer (PDF, 496.56 KB) with tips on how to manage weight and stay active.
Share this message with your family, friends, and community.
Use our toolkit
Download social media graphics and content to share this important message.View the toolkit (ZIP, 659.65 KB)
Click to share the message on social media
This content is provided as a service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK), part of the National Institutes of Health. The NIDDK translates and disseminates research findings to increase knowledge and understanding about health and disease among patients, health professionals, and the public. Content produced by the NIDDK is carefully reviewed by NIDDK scientists and other experts.