National Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases Advisory Council
Established by law and charter, the National Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Advisory Council meets three times annually to advise the NIDDK about its research portfolio. The Council typically undertakes broad issues of science policy. Members of the Advisory Council are drawn from the scientific and lay communities, are appointed for 4-year terms, and represent all areas within the Institute's research mission. An important role of the Council is to provide second-level peer review of grant applications that have been scored by scientific review groups. The Council members are an important liaison between the research communities they represent and the NIDDK, which supports each community's research efforts.
- Meeting Dates for 2022-2023
- Membership of the Council (with photos)
- January Council 2022 Roster Only (PDF, 145.15 KB)
- Meeting Minutes
- Council Charter (PDF, 194.11 KB)
- January 2022 NIDDK Advisory Council agenda (PDF, 270.59 KB)
- NIDDK Full Council Open Session - Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. EST
- NIDDK DDN Sub Committee Open Session – Thursday, January 27, 2022, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. EST
- NIDDK DEM Sub Committee Open Session – Thursday, January 27, 2022, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. EST
- NIDDK KUH Sub Committee Open Session – Thursday, January 27, 2022, 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. EST
The COVID-19 pandemic has shined a bright light on the issue of health disparities in minority populations. Becoming very sick from COVID-19 is associated with several underlying chronic diseases that fall within NIDDK’s research mission—and many of these diseases disproportionately impact people who are racial and ethnic minorities.
NIDDK strives to increase diversity in both our workforce and the research we fund in hopes of delivering better outcomes for those most effected by health disparities. A series of forums are being held to kick off the discussion and to brainstorm implementable ways that we can do better together.