Kidney Bioengineering, Biotechnology, & Imaging
The development of new technologies for the diagnosis, monitoring, or treatment of renal disease.
The Kidney Bioengineering, Biotechnology, and Imaging program supports research and development of new technologies for the diagnosis, monitoring, or treatment of renal disease. Research includes new methods to noninvasively measure glomerular filtration rate, renal plasma flow, and urinary protein excretion. The program advances studies on renal biopsy, tissue assessment, and intravital real-time imaging of renal function. The portfolio also includes work under the Small Business Program, which encourages collaboration between academic investigators and small businesses.
NIDDK Program Staff
- Chris Ketchum, Ph.D. Basic Science; Renal Physiology
- Christopher Mullins, Ph.D. Kidney and Urology Cell Biology
- Daniel Gossett, Ph.D. NIDDK Small Business Programs, Translational Research, and Technology Development
- Deborah Hoshizaki, Ph.D. Kidney and Urogenital Development; Kidney and Urology Regeneration and Repair; Urology Centers
Recent Funding OpportunitiesView More Recent Funding Opportunities
Support for Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) to Develop New Technologies for Development and Integration of Novel Components for Open and Closed Loop Hormone Replacement Platforms for T1D Therapy (R43/R44 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
Support of Competitive Research (SCORE) Pilot Project Award (SC2 - Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
Support of Competitive Research (SCORE) Research Advancement Award (SC1 - Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
HIV-associated Non-Communicable Diseases Research at Low- and Middle-Income Country Institutions (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Next-Generation Approaches to Renal Replacement Therapy Including Vascular Access
View related clinical trials from ClinicalTrials.gov.
Study sections conduct initial peer review of applications in a designated scientific area. Visit the NIH’s Center for Scientific Review website to search for study sections.
NIDDK makes publicly supported resources, data sets, and studies available to researchers to accelerate the rate and lower the cost of new discoveries.
- Ancillary Studies to Major Ongoing Clinical Studies to extend our knowledge of the diseases being studied by the parent study investigators under a defined protocol or to study diseases and conditions not within the original scope of the parent study but within the mission of the NIDDK.
- NIDDK Central Repository for access to clinical resources including data and biospecimens from NIDDK-funded studies.
- NIDDK Information Network (dkNET) for simultaneous search of digital resources, including multiple datasets and biomedical resources relevant to the mission of the NIDDK.
Additional Research Programs
NIDDK supports the training and career development of medical and graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and physician scientists through institutional and individual grants.Learn about NIDDK Research Training Programs
The NIDDK offers and participates in a variety of opportunities for trainees and researchers from communities underrepresented in the biomedical research enterprise. These opportunities include travel and scholarship awards, research supplements, small clinical grants, high school and undergraduate programs, and a network of minority health research investigators.Learn about NIDDK Diversity Programs
NIDDK participates in the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. These programs support innovative research conducted by small businesses that has the potential for commercialization.Learn about NIDDK Small Business Programs
Human Subjects Research
NIDDK provides funding for pivotal clinical research, from preliminary clinical feasibility to large multi-center studies.Learn about Human Subjects Research
NIDDK provides funding opportunities and resources to encourage translation of basic discoveries into novel therapeutics.Learn about NIDDK Translational Research Opportunities
Meetings & Workshops
- | Bethesda, MD
Providing education and training for the next generation of biomedical and behavioral scientist
Stay informed about the latest events, or connect through social media.