STEP-UP Required Documents Checklist
Required Documents for a Complete Application
All applicants must submit:
- A completed online application
- A personal statement of no more than 600 words
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Contact two academic references. (Instructions on how to submit online letters of recommendation are provided in the Student Portal website.)
- Past STEP-UP participants must have at least one letter from their most recent STEP-UP Research Mentor.
- The letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the Student Portal by the application deadline. Hard (paper) copies will not be accepted.
- Ask your recommender to write their letter of support when you start the application process to ensure the recommendation is received on time.
- An academic transcript which reflects all earned credits and grades through December 2020. Transcripts must be uploaded to your application. Exceptions will be made for high school students only.
- Applicants to the undergraduate program must submit a resume
Required Documents if Offered a STEP-UP Award
If accepted, you will need to provide your coordinating center with:
- Proof of medical insurance (exceptions will be granted for students living in the Pacific Islands)
- A copy of your U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or government issued photo identification document