Road Trip with Diabetes
Dr. Rodgers provides people with diabetes tips for holiday road trips.
With the holidays just around the corner – you may be excited to see family and ready to hit the road. If you have diabetes, before the car gets full of luggage, make sure you leave room for your diabetes supplies.
Hi, I’m Dr. Griffin Rodgers, Director of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases at NIH.
Here are few tips for your upcoming road trip:
- Pack enough prescription medications to last your entire trip.
- Keep medications cool – if possible, in a cooler, not in the trunk or glove compartment.
- Carry snacks in the car, like fruit, crackers, or juice, in case your blood sugar drops too low.
- Keep your medical insurance card and emergency phone numbers handy.
- And check your blood sugar often. Don’t drive for too long without stopping – take a break every hour or two.
To learn more, follow us on Twitter @NIDDKgov. This is Dr. Griffin Rodgers with the NIH.